Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12906) RFC: rethinking "celebration" city growth

To: saywhat@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12906) RFC: rethinking "celebration" city growth
From: "Brian Dunstan" <bdunstan149@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:37:54 -0700

--- "(Eddie Anderson)" <saywhat@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >Too complicated, IMHO.
>
>     Yes, the complexity is an obstacle.  I'm hoping
> that someone may
> be able to distill a simpler mechanism from the
> idea.
>

> > I would rather just remove rapture growth (for the
> >reasons stated, among others), and give celebration
> under Democracy and
> >Republic another bonus instead.
>
>     Amen.  How about making the celebration bonus
> this:
>
>     During celebration in a Democracy or Republic,
> every tile that
> is producing trade increases its trade arrows output
> by 50%.

In the long run it's better to get rid of cheesiness
first, worry about game balance later, but still, this
will massively upset game balance.  Rapture is one of
the few tools in online games that can incentivise
players to build cities with large population and many
improvements.

> >I find rapture growth to be a very cheesy and
> unbelievable game mechanic.
> >Make people rich and happy and then they pop out
> more kids? The contrary
> >seems to be true. Population growth drops sharply
> with increase affluence.
>
>     Agreed.
>
> -Eddie

Wealth does not produce children, but it does produce
massive cities.  Look at recent changes in China right
now: very few children per family, greater wealth, no
overall population groth, yet the cities are growing
at speeds worthy of a civII-style rature.  Newcomers
to the cities do not make other cities smaller;
instead they reduce the population of subsistence
farmers not counted as part of any city.