Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12906) RFC: rethinking "celebration" city growth

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12906) RFC: rethinking "celebration" city growth
From: "(Eddie Anderson)" <saywhat@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:58:47 -0700

"Peter Schaefer" <peter.schaefer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>That is a very cool idea, I think.
>I like simulations.
>
>I would propose slightly other "rules" though.
>
>On 4/27/05, (Eddie Anderson) <saywhat@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> 3) Because of the number of years per game turn, it is unrealistic
>>    after 1000AD (where are these additional people coming from when
>>    game turns are only 10 years long (or less)?).
>
>Not really, I just did a quick calculation in my head, and assuming
>people make a kid every of 22 years in a 42 year lifespan, the growth
                        ^
    Is there a word missing here?  I don't understand it as written.

>I think if you have built 200 cities, you will want more than one city to grow.

    Yikes.  200 cities?  I find that difficult to imagine.  I
realize that some people *do* build empires that big.  I just can't
fathom it.

>Well, as you may be aware, there was a feature in Sid Meiers Civ1 that
>an unhappy city with not much income would revolt and join your
>empire. This is an ideal opportunity to implement a similar feature:
>Simply make the "happyiness growth"/"migration" algorithm work across
>nations.

    I never played Civ1.  I learned long before then that Sid
Meier's pgms cheat (i.e. play by undocumented rules).  So I quit
playing his games.  Since then I *have* bought a few more of
Meier's games (when they reached the bargain bin).  But, in most
cases, I can't work up any enthusiasm to even *try* playing them.

    But the migration of cities from other civs (even enemy civs?)
is an interesting idea.  Though it would be a mess under some kinds
of smallpox restrictions.

>Because implementing it 100% accurately would invariably involve
>either sorting or weighting, I'll just try to describe an algorithm
>that uses randomness and is faster:

  (algorithm snipped)

>Thats it. You could complicate it by giving preference to the worst
>and the best cities, but it would be slower.

    Wow.  That's even more ambitious than what I had in mind.

>>     You're probably thinking, "Then why bother celebrating?".
>> Because some cities benefit more from growth than others.  And if
>> all cities can't grow equally (and magically) then you might want to
>> concentrate the growth in cities where it will do the most good.
>
>Well it takes very long for a big city to grow, due to the foodbox,
>and not very long for the small city, so that would be reason enough,
>even if migration takes place only within a nation.
>
>:-)

     Exactly.  :-)

-Eddie