Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12713) Crash on Windows 98 Build (running Windows ME)

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12713) Crash on Windows 98 Build (running Windows ME) - Is anyone testing this platform?
From: "Scott Watkins" <scott.watkins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 23:15:43 -0700

This bug is the same one I reported in beta 6. It still exists in RC 1:

PR#12000

 >This one seems to happen in one of 3 different ways, but always starts
 >the same. soon before the crash, when I am in a pop-up window (such as a
 >city window) the formatting will go off, and either the window will be
 >sized wrong or a zero will appear in place of the text on one of the
 >buttons. very soon after, usually the next time I go for a pop-up
 >window, the client will either shut down without warning, shut down with
 >a message saying it has encountered an error in CMDCTL32.DLL or shut
 >down showing an error in USER32.DLL (I think). This is an example of a
 >straight shut down. Please note that this occurs every time I run the
 >beta6 client.

 >Scott Watkins

I realize that WinME is not a popular platform with developers, but I
never even got a response beyond the auto responder last time, and this
bug still exists. If this bug is in the production release it's unlikely
I'll continue playing Freeciv, which is a shame, because I really like
it and prefer it to the proprietary versions. If I knew anything of C
code, I'd dive in and try and find it myself, but I don't have the
knowledge, or for that matter the time. Could someone please take a look
at this?

I've attached a recent saved game from just before the crash. I can
typically restart the game after a crash and keep going for several turns.

To update what happens this one said 'civclient has caused an error in
User.exe. civclient will now close'

I was unable to find a .rpt file. If there's somewhere different I
should be looking, please let me know.

Scott Watkins