Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12701) Polish cities Ascii bug and city selection

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12701) Polish cities Ascii bug and city selection bug
From: "Peter Schaefer" <peter.schaefer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 05:24:20 -0800

(Uhm, I don't whether to reply to this to bugs@ or freeciv-dev@ ..)

Yes, I already have a city called Bialystok.
The problem goes away when I rename Bialystok, but then the new city
will often be named Bialystok again.

It is also strange that Bialystok is suggested so often in row, not a
different name.

I don't understand why a name which does contain only standard latin
characters should cause this problem - maybe the conversion function
from latin back to unicode is missing.

Theres also an aestetic problem with getting a city name that you
rejected suggested again.
If you don't like a city name once, you probably don't like that it is
suggested again for every new city either.

 Maybe the server, instead of/in addition to going through the list
until it finds one name that is not used, maybe it should keep a
counter to the next name not suggested yet and start searching a new
name from there .. This would also be marginally more efficient. It
would not really solve the above problem, but would make a perfect
workaround.