Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12701) Polish cities Ascii bug and city selection bug

To: peter.schaefer@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12701) Polish cities Ascii bug and city selection bug
From: "Mateusz Stefek" <mstefek@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 04:12:28 -0800

> [peter.schaefer@xxxxxxxxx - Fri Apr 01 22:35:17 2005]:
>
> Client is rc1 win32
> The situation is that I built a few polish cities, including
> Bialystok. I try to build a new city, and I already switched check the
> preference box where it says ask for city name, because I encountered
> this problem before.
>
> Two or three bad things happen:
> -the game tells me: You already have a city called Bialystok.
>  this is the message for the automatically chosen name.
>  however, the game is unable to choose another name but Bialystok
> automatically, at least choosing a different name seems to have a
> small chance only of happening.
>
> - the game says " Only ASCII or ruleset names are allowed for cities."
>   It says this for the autoselected name (from the ruleset for polish?
!)

> - finally the game does neither generate a random name, or popup a
> blank city naming dialog, (as I tried to force by checking the "ask
> for city name" box) which would have worked around the problem.

I assume you use non-gtk version.

Here's what happens:
The server suggest 'Białystok', but when
it's converted from UTF8 to yuor encoding(probably ISO-8859-1 or 15)
it is changed to 'Bialystok' and sent back to the server.

It works only once, then you see this error.
You already have city called 'Bialystok', don't you?

That's ... a problem.
--
mateusz