Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12612) Different city name styles

To: i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12612) Different city name styles
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:35:33 -0800

Raimar Falke wrote:

> The FTWL client had a feature to draw the city name and production
> text depending on the city size. I use the past here since the drawing
> code was moved to common code (which is a good thing). However the
> common code doesn't support it.

Yeah.
> We have 3 options:
>  1) don't change the current situation
>  2) enable clients to do the drawing by themselves again if they want
>  3) add these features to the common code
>
> 3) is preferred but also have the biggest requirements. For example
> how is the font name specified? Do all of our clients support freetype
> so that we can pass a freetype font name in?

The client common code has a font enumeration.  I don't think the canvas
code needs a full font implementation (yet) but since the current
enumerated fonts are freeciv-specific anyway there's no harm in adding
more of them.  We already have a FONT_CITY_NAME, which we could split
into FONT_CITY_NAME_SMALL, FONT_CITY_NAME_MEDIUM, FONT_CITY_NAME_LARGE.
  The mapview_common code then uses a different font based on city size
and it's up to the GUI code how to implement it.

That said, I don't really think different size text for city names is a
good feature.  But it can't hurt to try it.

-jason