Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12612) Different city name styles

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12612) Different city name styles
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:48:43 -0800

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 10:15:40PM -0800, Raimar Falke wrote:

> Hello
>
> The FTWL client had a feature to draw the city name and production
> text depending on the city size. I use the past here since the drawing
> code was moved to common code (which is a good thing). However the
> common code doesn't support it.
>
> The FTWL client supported all normal FTWL string attributes. These
> are:
>  - font name
>  - font size
>  - foreground and background color
>  - antialias or not
>  - outline with and color
>  - text transformation (you can uppercase a city name for example)

In addtion it lets you define following attributes of the window which
is drawn half transparent:
 - border width and color
 - background color

The transparency of these windows are currently hardcoded but should
also be customizable.

> We have 3 options:
>  1) don't change the current situation
>  2) enable clients to do the drawing by themselves again if they want
>  3) add these features to the common code
>
> 3) is preferred but also have the biggest requirements. For example
> how is the font name specified? Do all of our clients support freetype
> so that we can pass a freetype font name in?

Another problem of 3) is: where to place these data? The FTWL client
has the idea of a theme. So a theme may use for all texts a certain
un-common font. However the common code doesn't have a theme. The only
alternatives are tileset data and client options.

I think we should add a theme to the common client which specifies all
non-tileset graphical data for the client. Example:
 - colors
 - positions and sizes of buttons
 - texts (maybe)
 - fonts and sizes

        Raimar

--
 email: i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  "brand memory are for windows users that think their stability