Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12587) "UNIT ID" makes panel too big

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12587) "UNIT ID" makes panel too big
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:25:42 -0800

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Jason Short wrote:
>
>>When playing in debug mode the panel becomes too large because of this
>>string.With the panel-resize bug this makes the game nearly unplayable.
>>
>>Simply removing the "UNIT ID" string would improve things.The ID can
>>be shown by itself.
>

> I did not see this misbehaviour. You used the gtk2 client? Any particular
> way to reproduce?

Run the gtk2 client in DEBUG mode.  Give your unit's homecity a
relatively long name.  Now hit 'w' to cycle through units.  When you
come to the unit with the homecity with the long name the text will not
fit in the panel so the panel will resize, causing the mapview to
resize, causing all sorts of ugliness.

>>Better I think would be putting the unit id into the mapview
>>center-click popup.
>
> That would not be as good, because it would not show an individual unit in
> a stack, which is the whole reason for adding this in the first place.
> Doing "debug units X Y" would debug an entire stack, which would often be
> way too many units.

Or you could put the unit ID on a separate line of the panel.  There's
usually plenty of vertical space on the panel.

-jason