Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12517) 2.0beta8 - fortify keeps flashing & more

To: jbb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12517) 2.0beta8 - fortify keeps flashing & more
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:06:16 -0800

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 07:38:21AM -0800, Jordan Baker wrote:

> > You lost contact with some players. If you don't have an embassy you can
> > only meet with a player if you have had contact with his units during last
> > 20 turns. Maybe this is a reason. In such case you should see "No contact"
> > in embassy column inside players dialog. --
> > mateusz
>

> hi.  this is NOT the case.
>
> I have discovered a way to resolve this however!
>
> Previously I have been using the "civ" script in the build directory to run
> the client.
>
> When I started the server and client seperately both of these problems are
> resolved.
>
> Maybe there is a difference in the way the server is being started somehow??
>
> SCENARIO 1: Use civ to start both client and server.
> RESULT: Bugs above are triggered

I think what happens is:

The savegame was created while your were logged off of the server. The
savegame has auto_ai_toggle=1 and all players are AI.

This has happended for me several times in case of a client crash; the
server used to live for 1 second longer, set the human player to AI mode and
does an autosave.

This is a seperate bug, reported but not fixed.

Now when you load this game from civclient, your player is AI and does not
switch back to human mode. This is a bug in beta8 and fixed in CVS version,
I think. At least, this should give the effect you have seen, you cannot
fortify your units. I cannot reproduce it with CVS, but I can, when I set
your player to AI mode. The units stay blink after set to Fortify.

To avoid this you have to set your player to human manually after game
start. You can do this with /aitoggle or in the player window (F3). Can you
confirm this?

Christian