Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12484) Combining the defense buildings

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12484) Combining the defense buildings
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 17:06:26 -0800

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> This was suggested by Vasco one day on the irc channel, and I think he is
> right: The splitting of the defense building from civ1 to civ2 was a
> mistake. City walls are not good enough, and nobody I know builds Coastal
> Fortress, ever. The same goes for SAM and SDI. They are grossly expensive
> and set you back when you should be doing offensive. Not to mention that
> it is a bother to build so many defensive buildings if you want a
> somewhat decent defense somewhere.
>
> There are several options here.
>
> 1) Combine Walls, Coastal, SAM and SDI into one super-defense building
> ("City Defense").
> 2) Combine Walls, Coastal and SAM into a single defense building ("City
> Walls"), and leave SDI separate.
> 3) Combine Walls and Coastal ("City Walls") and combine SAM and SDI ("Air
> defense"?).
> 4) Combine Walls and Coastal only ("City Walls"), leaving SAM and SDI
> separate but perhaps cheaper.
> 5) Don't combine them, just make them cheaper.
>
> Thoughts? I think I favour solution 3.

Yes. One City Walls that defends vs land and sea and one Air Defenses
that defends vs air and missile.

There are several real world systems which not only have
anti-aircraft but also anti-ballistic missile capabilities. The Patriot
Missile Air Defense System is one, the S-400 Triumf is another.

Research of new technology could give ABM defense capability to the Air
Defenses.

---