Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12148) granary shouldn't be shown

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12148) granary shouldn't be shown
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 07:32:18 -0800

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, Jason Short wrote:
>
>>If I have pyramids built, granary shouldn't be shown by default as a
>>build target.(I don't know what exactly we decided to allow players to
>>build these targets, but it shouldn't be a build target by default.)
>

> IIRC we decided that it should be possible to build redundant buildings. I
> am not sure how this can be possible without showing them in the build
> list. Please, no suggestions that would mean a) bringing back the
> redundancy code that Vasco removed, or b) adding more complexity to the
> already hideously overcomplex city dialog.

There is a "show future targets" toggle button in the city dialog.
Redundant-but-possibly-useful-in-the-future buildings shouldn't be shown
unless this button is clicked.

However after discussing this with Vasco it's possible this is a ruleset
problem: Granary may not be redundant with Pyramids after the latest
changes (so having them both would be hugely beneficial).

> PS I would like to see most wonders in the default ruleset drop
> 'redundancy' effects. They are way too good for smallpox. In my opinion,
> most wonders should instead by building-boosters, like Oracle and (now)
> Newton's.

Sure.  How would this apply to Granary/Pyramids?

-jason