Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] RFC: dropping support for the gui-gtk client

To: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] RFC: dropping support for the gui-gtk client
From: Jason Dorje Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:38:08 -0500

Our intent is that alpha-levels should be used in the graphics for Freeciv 2.1. gui-gtk does not support this and there is nobody who will update it I think. Also this client has no maintainer and has not been actively developed for some time. Finally, anyone who can use the GTK client can use the GTK2 client also (gtk2 is more portable than gtk1.2).

So it is our intent to drop support for gui-gtk before Freeciv 2.1. We've already disable automatic detection of the client. As long as the code still compiles we can continue to distribute it but unless someone steps up and starts maintaining it, this will not be for long. If anyone does want to maintain this client, you are welcome to do so. However your efforts are probably better spent doing development on the gui-gtk-2.0 client.

-jason short