Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11805) Store chat and notify messages for later retrie

To: edoverton@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11805) Store chat and notify messages for later retrieval
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:05:38 -0800

Merging chat and notify messages will present some problems.  But these
are problems that should be addressed anyway.  A chat message has a
connection (i.e., user) associated with it.  A notify message may have a
tile (and therefore city) associated with it.  But we should have a
player associated with a notify message as well (PR#6563).  The final
design should have a clean way of associating various different types of
data, which can be entered cleanly through the event interface and
displayed prettily by the client.

> [ednotover - Fri Jan 07 03:22:22 2005]:

> Second, assuming there's a cap on the size of the message array / list,
> it'd be possible for an opposing player to use a bunch of chat messages
> to push some meaningful game messages out of another player's array /
> list.  By keeping things separate, chat (which other players can
> influence) cannot interfere with one's game messages (which other
> players should not be able to influence).

Whatever other rules we have, no "critical" event from the current turn
should be lost.

-jason