Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11805) Store chat and notify messages for later retrie

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11805) Store chat and notify messages for later retrieval
From: "Ed Overton" <edoverton@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 19:22:23 -0800

> [jdorje - Fri Jan 07 00:20:15 2005]:

> Chat and notify use many of the same mechanisms.  I see no problem with
> saving chat along with notify messages.

Originally, I was seeing them as distinct for two reasons.  First, the
notifies will need more than just the message itself - they'll need the
notification event type and the location.  You're right that that's not
a real hindrance;  chat messages probably could be managed the same way
as a notification, just with a separate event type and without a location.

Second, assuming there's a cap on the size of the message array / list,
it'd be possible for an opposing player to use a bunch of chat messages
to push some meaningful game messages out of another player's array /
list.  By keeping things separate, chat (which other players can
influence) cannot interfere with one's game messages (which other
players should not be able to influence).

Ed