Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Hi folks

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Hi folks
From: Bert van der Weerd <bsod@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 15:39:35 +0100

Hi folks, this is my first post.

I've played freeciv for a while, and I like it a lot. However I'd like
to see it 3D. Now there have been several attempts in the past about
using opengl to create a 3D client. As far as I can tell there are
currently no attempts underway. Is this the case?

3D in a game like civ can be undesired, for example I rather have a
simple 2D map of my continent and it's cities for clarity. On the other
hand, 3D can give a much more submersive(sp?) player experience, and as
such, can be fun.

If there are no current 3D efforts, I plan to collect the code from the
previous attempts and see if they can be re-used (I've seen a nice
landscape generator, for example). Next, I'd want to fork the gtk client
and add the opengl capability to it. I'm thinking simple simple here,
with Alt-2 selecting the existing 2D view and Alt-3 selecting, for now,
a simple rotating triangle.

Artwork is always the major issue with 3D, because good 3D modellers are
hard to find. However, some effort is done to model the units in
blender, and this artwork looks very good. So we have somthing to show
in 3D.

Anyway, these are my first thoughts about the subject, I'd like to hear
what you guys think about this.

--Bert