Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8998) Small map meets large screen, they have prob

To: vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8998) Small map meets large screen, they have problems together.
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:47:52 -0800

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Jason Short wrote:
>
>>Solution 3.Restrict the maximum size of the mapview in mapview_common.
>> If the mapview gets too big some parts of it just aren't shown.
>>Advantages: retains speed, easy to implement.Disadvantages: the whole
>>mapview can never be shown.
>
> What do you mean by "never"? As in "if mapview is larger than map never"
> or as in "this also affects normal sized maps and mapviews never"?

Sorry, I mean the whole MAP can never be shown.  In non-iso view with a
non-iso map, if you have a wrapping map 80 tiles wide no more than 78 of
those tiles can ever be shown.  You might wonder why this is; if all 80
tiles are shown there should be no problem.  The problem is that if all
80 tiles are shown there is a half-tile on the left and a half-tile on
the right.  These are two halves of the same tile but only one of them
gets drawn.  In my tests this happened when the with was 79 tiles as well.

In iso-view or hex the problem is worse.  Something like 4 tiles missing
from each side.

And if the view and map don't match the problem is MUCH worse.  You can
only ever show 50% of the map in any direction that wraps (so if it
wraps in both directions, only 25% is ever visible).

jason