Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10835) Trieme navigation

To: edearl@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10835) Trieme navigation
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 01:35:58 -0800

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 06:08:43PM -0800, Ed Earl Ross wrote:

> It is not possible to lead a Trieme into the ocean with  the mouse using
> the Go command. At first this confused me, until I leaned the arrow keys
> would move into the ocean.  A one-time information pop-up telling to use
> the arrow keys would be helpful.

The goto does not work because the there is a risk to loose the Trireme on
high seas. Maybe we can issue a message for this; a popup is probably not
what we want.

Maybe a hint in the help for trireme, that if goto doesn't work, cursor keys
can be used on own risk.

> It should be possible to move a trieme one grid square into open ocean,
> but not two or more. Usually, a person wants to move back to land, but
> allow one to move further from land after moving one grid
> away--stupidity should be fatal.

If you consider the measurement of tiles and map, the current rule 'contact
with land' is both nearer to reality and game effect.

> When one sees a foreign border, but cannot see the foreign land, with a
> mouse it is not possible to lead a Trieme to the foreign land--it should
> be possible.

Note, that borders can be far away from the coast - depending on option
setting.

There is one case where the current implementation is limited (- I think,
not tested recently). This is when you know for sure there is reachable
coast, but the goto won't make it there, because the tiles between are
unknown (black).

Christian