Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10835) Trieme navigation

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10835) Trieme navigation
From: "Ed Earl Ross" <edearl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 08:23:18 -0800

Christian Knoke wrote:

>On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 06:08:43PM -0800, Ed Earl Ross wrote:
>

>>It is not possible to lead a Trieme into the ocean with  the mouse using
>>the Go command. At first this confused me, until I leaned the arrow keys
>>would move into the ocean.  A one-time information pop-up telling to use
>>the arrow keys would be helpful.
>>

>The goto does not work because the there is a risk to loose the Trireme on
>high seas. Maybe we can issue a message for this; a popup is probably not
>what we want.
>
>Maybe a hint in the help for trireme, that if goto doesn't work, cursor keys
>can be used on own risk.

Excellent, better, thanks.

>>It should be possible to move a trieme one grid square into open ocean,
>>but not two or more. Usually, a person wants to move back to land, but
>>allow one to move further from land after moving one grid
>>away--stupidity should be fatal.
>>

>If you consider the measurement of tiles and map, the current rule 'contact
>with land' is both nearer to reality and game effect.

Reality is best.

>>When one sees a foreign border, but cannot see the foreign land, with a
>>mouse it is not possible to lead a Trieme to the foreign land--it should
>>be possible.
>>

>Note, that borders can be far away from the coast - depending on option
>setting.
>
>There is one case where the current implementation is limited (- I think,
>not tested recently). This is when you know for sure there is reachable
>coast, but the goto won't make it there, because the tiles between are
>unknown (black).

Limited IMO.

I'm a newbie to freeciv, though once a long time ago worked in Software
QA. Hope to help.

Need to tune my manners, get accustomed to the freeciv user-interface
philosophy, and not try to control the design--a longtime professional
personal-habit.

>Christian

Thanks.