Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10734) SVG flags

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10734) SVG flags
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 11:03:41 -0700

Here is a preliminary effort.

I found a tarball of the Sodipodi Clipart flags.  So it was easy to copy
these into the directory.  These have no black border which is the only
possible drawback (well, unless there is a problem with palette size).
I included the CREDITS file in full although only a fraction of the
available flags are used (and some are renamed).

For the rest I just used autotrace to convert them into SVG (see
convert_svg).  This gives flags that look okay at the current (small)
resolution but won't look good if blown up.  They also still have the
black border.  The Worms tileset has better images for some of these but
it will take a little work to conver them (the worms tileset also has a
"waving" flag which isn't consistent with the others, and IMO isn't
particularly good).  For the others, someone will have to make new SVG
graphics.  It shouldn't be hard (it could probably be done with
autotrace if you have a high-resolution [public-domain or GPL] image of
the flag).

Untar this file into data/flags.  Then from that directory run
"./convert_png *.svg".  All your PNG files will be replaced.

jason