Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10124) PATCH: new generator 1, hmap generator (1,5

To: mburda@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10124) PATCH: new generator 1, hmap generator (1,5) mv to height_map.[ch]
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 01:17:55 -0700

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, Marcelo Burda wrote:
> Jason, After all i think "The Freeciv Project" is no good, this is
> because "The Freeciv Project" has any else legal constituted. this isa
> copiright than (c) 2004 - The Freeciv Project is the some think than no
> (c) at all,
>
> something than
>  Copyright (C) 2004Marcelo Burda
>  Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004  The Freeciv Project theam
>
> As legaly ok, at last one well defined individual get the copyright. but
> it can' t change it with out the accord of all historical member of the
> team.
> But serieussly the onlygood way is any imprtant contributed from a
> autor has to be add to (c) of file. the1996 - 2004  The Freeciv
> Project theam has to be used only if no way to get real autors
> identities.

No. The copyright attribution in a header of a file has _no legal power
whatsoever_. It does not matter if we attribute copyright there to a list
of real people or to Rudolf the Reindeer. You cannot transfer copyright
from one legal entity to another without a contract.

So we keep it simple, and put attributions in the changelog. We use the
changelog to update doc/PEOPLE. Duplicated attributions there is a bad
idea, for the reasons I explained in the other post.

  - Per