Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10027) (civclient:12460): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gt

To: brett.albertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10027) (civclient:12460): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtktextbuffer.c: line 548: assertion `g_utf8_validate (text, len, NULL)' failed
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:46:13 -0700

Brett Albertson wrote:

>>[jdorje - Sat Sep 11 00:21:47 2004]:
>>
>>Use my other patch and the segfault should be fixed.  Then you'll at
>>least be able to see the iconv error message.
>>
>>I'd suggest you try installing GNU iconv
>>(http://gnu.org/software/libiconv/).  If you can do that, see if it
>>allows you to run freeciv without any patches.
>

> BTW, I installed GNU iconv and gettext from sources.  I also installed
> the fprintf patch.  It now seems to work if I specify
> FREECIV_DATA_ENCODING=UTF-8.  If I don't, it gives the message:
>
> dev-null:{bretta}$ civclient
> Could not convert text from UTF-8 to 646: Invalid argument2: No real
> audio plugin present, proceeding with sound support disabled
> Could not convert text from UTF-8 to 646: Invalid argument2: For sound
> support, install either esound or SDL_mixer
> Could not convert text from UTF-8 to 646: Invalid argument2: Esound:
> http://www.tux.org/~ricdude/EsounD.html
> Could not convert text from UTF-8 to 646: Invalid argument2:
> SDL_mixer: http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/index.html
>
> We're definitely getting much closer since everything seems to work
> when specifying UTF-8.  Also, we might need to add detection for
> Solaris special iconv needs.

Did you rerun autogen.sh?

There should be a GNU library that provides a locale_charset() or
nl_langinfo() that works.  Perhaps is libiconv, I dunno.  You'll have to
install it and then rerun autogen.sh.

We have to decide whether to support solaris iconv in the source, or put
detection for it into the bootstrap and refuse to use it.

jason