Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10027) (civclient:12460): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gt

To: brett.albertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10027) (civclient:12460): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtktextbuffer.c: line 548: assertion `g_utf8_validate (text, len, NULL)' failed
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:21:48 -0700

Brett Albertson wrote:

>>[jdorje - Fri Sep 10 23:56:45 2004]:
>>
>>Ugh.  Here's a similar patch for freeciv (but without the comments
>
> it
>
>>obviously needs).  Does this work?  Are you sure we should use UTF-8
>>here and not ISO-8859-1?
>>
>>Test to see if the output of non-ascii characters on the server
>
> command
>
>>line (like in "/list") is correct.  Try under UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1.
>

> Two updates:
>
> I updated to the current CVS and there was no change.
>
> I added your "646" patch, and it now core dumps with no special
> FREECIV_LOCAL_ENCODING set.  Here's the backtrace.

Yeah, iconv is still failing.  I think this is a bug with iconv on
solaris.  See (among others)
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/freetds/2003q2/013109.html.  But I
didn't look too closely.

Use my other patch and the segfault should be fixed.  Then you'll at
least be able to see the iconv error message.

I'd suggest you try installing GNU iconv
(http://gnu.org/software/libiconv/).  If you can do that, see if it
allows you to run freeciv without any patches.

jason