Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9942) planned unit movement

To: lakatoszoltan@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9942) planned unit movement
From: "Guest" <rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 13:33:26 -0700

> [per - Mon Sep 06 12:27:56 2004]:
>

> I've tested it a bit, and I generally like it.
>
> A few comments on the implementation:
>  - Setting all units to have zero moves always is an easy solution,
> but
> not a good one. It looks quite odd. Instead, the server should
reject
> any
> move packets, and the clients should convert all move attempts into
> goto
> orders. This will also fix the client jump-to-next unit feature,
> diplomats, settlers, air units and caravans.
>  - There should be a server setting "movetype" to switch between the
> different move types.
>  - Doing the AI later is ok, but it should also eventually use the
> same
> movetype as the client.
>  - See me other post for thoughts on how to make gotos fair.
>
> Keep up the good work.
>
>   - Per

Thank you for testing the patch. I think, you are right in these
questions.Rejecting move packets sounds very promising.

There are some problem, I faced at first tests:
-Unit order is crucial at conquering a city. Better, if cruisers
(stronger) attack first and then come the horsemen.

-Fighters have only fuel for one turn, they have to return after
attack. I considered a GOTO-ATTACK-RETURN command proper.

A random player order solves all fairness problem, but increases
general risk. That iterative combat resoulution means less risk.
It's a choice from chess-roulette scale.

I will.

Zoli