Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9942) planned unit movement

To: lakatoszoltan@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9942) planned unit movement
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 01:32:41 -0700

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, [UTF-8] Zoltán Lakatos wrote:
> This patch implements a new movement style in freeciv. Players can not move
> their units in the same time, but they can plan their route paralell. It
> decreases the advantages of fast clicking and gives more chance to strategy.
> This idea came in connection with alternate unit movement problem #576, but it
> is a something different solution.
>
> It works so, that blocks movement till end of turn, then streams all plan. The
> neededplan functions like the useful GOTO exsisted in freeciv, therefore the
> patch isn't too large.
>
> The main problem can be to find a fair and consequent player and unit order,
> but I haven't checked the current methods yet.

Yes, I've thought of this, too... It is the Moo2 movement model, which can
be a really nice way of playing.

The fair order of movement can be resolved in this way:

We iterate in random order through all units and have them goto to their
destination. If we encounter a non-allied unit, then we stop, and if the
blocking unit does not have goto orders, we drop our own goto orders (we
are blocked); if it does have goto orders, we just wait to see if it moves
away. Once we've done the first iteration over all units, we keep
iterating until either all units have executed their goto orders or no
units are moving (ie all remaining units are blocked). Lastly, resolve
combat; units that have goto orders that would bring them onto a tile
containing an enemy unit are attacking; it is then possible that both
units are considered attacking. Units can only attack once (otherwise we
would get problems with 1/3 and 2/3 movement left).

One thing that is needed for such a movement scheme is the warclient goto
and execute order, such as goto and fortify. Otherwise you will lose one
turn doing orders.

  - Per