Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9942) planned unit movement

To: lakatoszoltan@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9942) planned unit movement
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 05:27:57 -0700

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, [UTF-8] Zoltán Lakatos wrote:
> This patch implements a new movement style in freeciv. Players can not move
> their units in the same time, but they can plan their route paralell. It
> decreases the advantages of fast clicking and gives more chance to strategy.
> This idea came in connection with alternate unit movement problem #576, but it
> is a something different solution.

I've tested it a bit, and I generally like it.

A few comments on the implementation:
 - Setting all units to have zero moves always is an easy solution, but
not a good one. It looks quite odd. Instead, the server should reject any
move packets, and the clients should convert all move attempts into goto
orders. This will also fix the client jump-to-next unit feature,
diplomats, settlers, air units and caravans.
 - There should be a server setting "movetype" to switch between the
different move types.
 - Doing the AI later is ok, but it should also eventually use the same
movetype as the client.
 - See me other post for thoughts on how to make gotos fair.

Keep up the good work.

  - Per