Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7152) tile markers

To: caspar-freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxxx, rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7152) tile markers
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 04:39:58 -0700

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Jason Short wrote:
> Tile markers are a good idea. However this patch is woefully out of
> date and doesn't do this in a good way.

Agreed. In fact, I agree on all points you outlined unless otherwise
specified below.

> - Tile markers may consist of some type of decoration (in Teamciv, an X
> mark) or maybe text (like in SMAC).

I thought about using national flags.

The markers should also be shown in the minimap.

> - It should be done for all clients

Good luck on this one.

>, or at least without breaking all clients.

More realistic goal.

> - Markers should be player-specific but shared betweeen teammates.

I thought about adding a new int to ptile in which each bit is equal to
each player.

> - Only one marker per tileshould be possible.

Careful here. It should not be possible to deduce the other team's markers
by attempting to place your own markers everywhere and find where you
cannot place any. So allowing _placing_ multiple markers on one spot may
be necessary, but _showing_ is another business.

> For text things are a little more complicated: a dialog is needed.

Do we need text?

  - Per