Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9496) PATCH: Clean up on set-ratio

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9496) PATCH: Clean up on set-ratio
From: "Marcelo Burda" <mburda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 03:24:49 -0700

Le dim 25/07/2004 à 11:19, rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx a écrit :

> Ratio is *not* a fundamental or worthwhile concept and just leads to
> an endless set of these sort of problems. As has been stated from its
> initial proposal, it should not be included in any Freeciv code. At
> most there may be some dialog that is totally different from the
> rest of the game concepts that wants to use it. Certainly low-level
> code like map.c is not an appropriate place for anything but the
> fundamental definitions of the low level window {xsize,ysize} with
> appropriate topology restrictions like even and odd row limits from
> wrapping constraints.
>
> Please see these are removed from the patch code and replaced with
> something closer to the original layering of core and GUI/user needs,
> i.e. the ratio concept *never* appears as pollution at this level and
> is cleanly separated into something fundamental and UI oriented with
> the code placed accordingly.
>
> Cheers,
> RossW
> =====
Ups! i think make the code and comment more clear and we go to these
pseudo pollution concept!
First, i am not solve any type of problem! accuracy on size for a size
one map is not very important,  more there are absolutely uninteresting.
if i improve it this is i can easy improve it.
instead to 80x50 i get 78x52, not a problem!!
I am unable to create a more easy way to set well defined map.[xy]sizes
than
>set size 7 (a sample)
this is all of a user need to known, set size 1 very small, set size 29
very big.
Can you do best?
the topologies restriction need to be well done to avoid future bugs,
set-ratio do it(maybe set_sizes is a best name), this way we can assume
sizes are all the time good ones. some math can be easier this way.
The original code was a lake on it, no initialize topology concept
existe before adding init_topology and set_ratio. Go back to these
times are a wrong idea.

I understand your, maybe you not like news topologies in freeciv and
this code are needed for this. But allow us to love these news ideas we
try to make it the best way. but we are doing it anyway.

Marcelo