Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9434) Patch: Option levels

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9434) Patch: Option levels
From: "Gregory Richards" <akaquinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:36:00 -0700

> [per@xxxxxxxxxxx - Tue Jul 20 09:04:21 2004]:
>
> I don't understand why this patch does not use the same categories
as the
> client. This is sure going to be confusing for users, who would
naturally
> expect some consistency here.

Except that they're different ideas - any option would be in one
category and one level, they're not related.

> Also, I am not sure this is really necessary. Yes, the number of
server
> options is too big and not easily seen (and we might want to move
some
> into rulesets or just waste some), we should rather make the client
> interface to it useful than improve the server interface. The new
server
> options dialog allows players to set server options in a nice GUI -
so
> there is no longer any need to actually use the server.

I severely doubt that NOBODY will use the server for changing options,
and there's no reason to NOT add this feature just because not
everybody would use it.  Those who will change it from the client,
will change it from the client.  Those who will change it from the
server, will prefer that it be easier to do so.