Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9360) restricting nations in scenarios

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9360) restricting nations in scenarios
From: "Jason Dorje Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:37:32 -0700

Per Inge Mathisen wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, Jason Dorje Short wrote:
>
>>It also has some problems since most GUIs restrict nations by
>>deselecting or crossing out the used nations. But for nations
>>unavailable from the start they should just not be shown. This can
>>probably be dealt with by expanding the boolean "available" nation value
>>into an enumeration or pair of booleans.
>
> Or we can send only these nations from the server (in send ruleset step).

That's the first thing I tried but it isn't as easy as it sounds.  The
client and nations use the same numbering system for nation ID's, but
both assume (in find_nation_by_name, for instance) that the nation array
isn't sparse.  So either the server would have to delete the extra
nations internall, or the client would have to be able to deal with
knowing that there are 76 (or whatever) nations but only having data for
16 of them.

Also I think it isn't robust.  It depends on things happening in exactly
the right order.

jason