Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9147) researchcost proposal

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9147) researchcost proposal
From: "Per Inge Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 01:03:50 -0700

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, Per Inge Mathisen wrote:
> This is an updated patch.

I forgot to add: The researchcost algorithm has changed slightly, to:

  MAX( (num_parents + 1) * sqrt( num_parents + 1 ) * ( researchcost / 2),
       researchcost )

This makes the tech curve resulting from researchcost roughtly the same
for tech cost style 0 and 1, so we do not need to change researchcost to 5
when we set tech cost style to 1. It also prevents some techs from going
on a fire sale for 5.

> There is an occasional (rare) bug: Sometimes when selecting a tech to
> research immediately from the science dialog, you get the tech seemingly
> for free.That is not the case, though - it is just the science dialog
> that didn't update properly - it updated the tech but not the bulbs. I
> cannot figure out why. The client does receive all the info it should.

Apparently this is an unrelated and older bug. Thomas reported it a while
ago.

  - Per