Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9324) startunits and sea units

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9324) startunits and sea units
From: "Genevieve Gracian" <ggracian@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 10:45:36 -0700

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 10:30:48 -0700
"Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Startunits will put sea units on the land.  Sometimes they can be
> totally landlocked, and will never be able to move.
>
> Fixing this seems very tricky.  Currently all starting positions are put
> on land.  We're not guaranteed to have a sea position within the
> dispersion radius.  However if sea units are present there's a good
> chance we'd have enough of them to transport all starting land units.
> In that case a starting position could be placed on the ocean, and the
> land unit(s) could be put inside the sea unit(s).  But this may be very
> hard, because the starting positions may be generated before the server
> option is even set (I think).

If the starting position is in high sea and too far from the shore that
could make a very short game for the poor player. I don't know if that
can happen with a trireme but I recently had a start where one settler
was in unsafe terrain and could not reach safe location
(http://ggracian.free.fr/starting_position.png).

--
G. Gracian