Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9324) startunits and sea units

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9324) startunits and sea units
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 10:30:48 -0700

Startunits will put sea units on the land.  Sometimes they can be
totally landlocked, and will never be able to move.

Fixing this seems very tricky.  Currently all starting positions are put
on land.  We're not guaranteed to have a sea position within the
dispersion radius.  However if sea units are present there's a good
chance we'd have enough of them to transport all starting land units.
In that case a starting position could be placed on the ocean, and the
land unit(s) could be put inside the sea unit(s).  But this may be very
hard, because the starting positions may be generated before the server
option is even set (I think).

In the short term I think the only viable solution is to remove the sea
unit roles from the possible starting units.  This doesn't prevent other
sea units from being given the other starting-unit roles, though.

See also PR#9309, PR#9310.

jason