Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9197) Shaking the (Tech) Tree

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9197) Shaking the (Tech) Tree
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 04:18:46 -0700

While again playing with Techtree 3.0, I tried a few changes to fix some
annoyances and odd things about the Tech Tree.  Here's what I have done:

1. The Republic requires Trade and Philosophy, as suggested by hirisov.
This delays the Republic quite a bit and makes Monarchy a lot more
attractive as a first government (other than the default Despotism).
2. Since the Republic has moved up, Banking now requires Literacy instead of
the Republic.
3. Democracy now requires the Republic because Banking no longer depends on
the Republic.
4. Make Communism require the Republic instead of Philosophy.  This change
is mostly cosmetic since Communism already depends on Trade through Banking.
5. Mass Production requires Machine Tools instead of the Corporation
(redundant).
6. Recycling requires Sanitation instead of Democracy (redundant).
7. Plastics requires Recycling instead of Refining (redundant).
8. Laser requires Robotics instead of Mass Production (redundant).
9. Stealth requires Advanced Flight instead of Robotics.  It seems strange
that you can build stealth aircraft without ever knowing Flight.

There are still a couple of redundancies involving Nuclear Power, but I'm
not sure what to do with them.  Anyway, the most significant changes are
those involving the Republic.  Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Mike Jing