Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: civ3gfx

Cc: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: civ3gfx
From: Jason Dorje Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:42:29 -0400

Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Jason Dorje Short wrote:

I put up a civ3gfx tileset in
ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/contrib/tilesets/civ3gfx/.

It includes a script that automatically downloads and converts the
Womoks tileset.  Note that this tileset is based on the original civ3
graphics and cannot be freely redistributed!  There's probably a full
tileset's worth of all-new graphics out there but I don't know where it
is.  I encourage anyone in trying to put together a free tileset of
top-notch graphics.

We should just draw something ourselves, no matter how ugly it is and just not
redistribute any art with dubious copyright status.
Probably the best way would be to use some 3D fractal landscape
generator software, with our own textures and use that as the basis for
the tileset.

It would be possible to automatically recombine isotrident graphics into such a tileset. Of course the new tileset will look identical to the current one but it will have 20 times as many sprites. These sprites can then be replaced one at a time with drawn or rendered graphics.

However I'm not quite sure how to do this recombining. You could do it with GDK with a process of loading, cropping, merging, and saving. It would probably be easier to do with imagemagick or a scripting language.

jason