Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9119) veteran and stack sprites

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9119) veteran and stack sprites
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 17:36:48 -0700

The veteran sprite is not drawn if the stack sprite is drawn.  This is
supposedly because there's not enough space.

However, I find this very bad.  Not only is it buggy (the veteran icons
often aren't drawn for the focus unit on the panel), but it is very
difficult to assess the strengths of units.  I wanted to attack an enemy
trireme with my (veteran) trireme.  But the enemy trireme is
transporting some units so the stack icon is shown.  There is no way for
me to find out if this enemy trireme is veteran.  Even if I were to
popup the unit dialog (which isn't possible since there's just one unit)
it would still show the stack icon.  Unsure, I attack and lose.

With the current veteran icons they overlap with the stack icon.  My
proposal would be to move the stack icon far enough to the left to avoid
this, and remove the hack.  Other tilesets would have to adjust.

On larger tilesets (bigisotrident and bigtrident) these icons don't have
to be made much larger.  So the problem is less.  However on smaller
tilesets there is less room so there's more of a problem.

jason