Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#8935) Relief Special

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#8935) Relief Special
From: "Marcelo Burda" <mburda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 01:07:49 -0700

Hello,

Working in map generator i get in troubling with mountains and hills in
poles as well than with forest. these think are separated terrains.
instead to created a cold hills or arctic mountains i propose a new way
to handle this.

i think we can separate the terrains concept in:
Relief:RS_plains, RS_hill, and RS_mountain
Base terrain: we can gengin with the today ones except Hill and Mountains
Rivers: (done)
vegetate: none/Forest/Jungle:
Others specials:separated of the terrains type.

To begin i propose a new special: the relief special can get 3 value
RS_plains, RS_hill, and RS_mountains.
Basically the relief special add bonus to base terrains type and as
rivers this will add bonus to move or defence values.

Relief            Mv/Df          F/R/T         RoadResult/Time
IrrigationRes/Time
RS_Pains      no bonus
RS_Hill        +1,+1            -1/0/0        -1/+2                     0/+5
RS_Mountains +2, +2        -2/ +1/ -1  -1/+4                     -/-

If we apply this on grassland we get the classic Hill and Mountains. but
applied to desert/tundra/artic we get interesting new terrains.
specially to create nice maps.

I wait for your comment!
Marcelo