Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#8916) City never grow

To: hjcao@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#8916) City never grow
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 00:33:42 -0700

> [hjcao@xxxxxxxxx - Sat Jun 05 10:05:36 2004]:
>
> I am testing the zh_CN translation but I find a
> strange thing: A city will never grow. I am not sure
> if this is a bug or intended behavior.
>
> 1. The city Carthago is of size 1 but has only one
> worker on the city's tile, while other cities of the
> same size have 2 worker, one on the city's tile and
> another around the city.
>
> 2. After I noticed that the city's food prodution is
> only 2 hence will not grow, I irrigated the city's
> tile using a  settler. But in the city overview page
> the food production is still 2, although in the main
> map it shows that food/production/trade is 3/0/1.
>
> I got the screenshots but the messages is in Chinese.

In the "despotism" or "anarchy" government types there are several
drawbacks:

- Tiles producing more than 2 of a stat (food, production, trade) get a
penalty of 1.  Thus a 3/0/1 grassland tile produces only 2 food for the
city.

- Cities further away from the capital have a high corruption and
corresponding high unhappiness.  Your city has its only citizen set as
an entertainer.  This produces luxury to nullify the unhappy citizen.

Try going for monarchy or republic.  Building a courthouse or temple may
also help.

jason