Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: new Simplified CHinese localization

To: Raimar Falke <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: hjcao <hjcao@xxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: new Simplified CHinese localization
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 14:59:00 +0100 (WET DST)

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Raimar Falke wrote:

> On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 06:30:06PM +0800, hjcao wrote:
> > I uploaded a new zh_CN.po to
> > ftp://upload.freeciv.org/pub/freeciv/incoming/
> > It is mainly tested with gtk-2.0 client. Hope that
> > someone will try and test it.
>
> Let me first say: I don't understand any Chinese. However I have
> tested it. I get some errors which are not caused by you but gtk2 and
> freeciv. And I'm able to see some parts of Chinese. Mainly "Ok",
> "Cancel" and so on.
>
> Hongjia Cao: Do you want to become the official Chinese translator?
> You will get an account and can check in updates to the po-file by
> yourself.
>
> Vasco: What does
>
> ** (civclient:12813): WARNING **: Unable to open XIM input method, falling
> back
> to XLookupString()
>
> tries to tell me?

Good question. But IIRC XIM means X Input Method. Perhaps this has to do
with the way X must handle Chinese keyboard input? I doubt they can use
the same method of input as for Latin, since Chinese has thousands of
possible characters based on a limited number of strokes.

You probably need to install support for this in X and you haven't
installed the appropriate language support.

> I also get a lot of
> 1: received bad string in packet (type 102, len 490) from server

As I have said here before many times, the server is broken. On an UTF-8
locale it will send ISO-8859-1 (nation city and ruler names) mixed with
UTF-8 (help strings, etc) to the client. The client has no way of possibly
handling this sanely.

The server must send text always in the same encoding, whatever it may
be. What this means, is that the current server is broken in any other
locale than ISO-8859-1.

We have talked and talked about how to make the server always send/receive
UTF-8 over the network, but nothing was commited to CVS HEAD. Remember?

---