Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: scenarios with too many players

Cc: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: scenarios with too many players
From: Jason Dorje Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 06:28:50 -0400

Per Inge Mathisen wrote:
On Sat, 22 May 2004, Jason Dorje Short wrote:

Mike asked why extra players were cut when the number of players
exceeded those provided by the scenario.

It's pretty hard to get this to happen accidentally.If it does happen,
it's because you changed the max_players yourself.So we may want to
allocate all-new start positions in this case.(It's not possible to
keep the existing start positions and add new ones to them, but it *is*
possible to reallocate them from scratch.)

This patch does this.It is untested.  I'm not even sure it's better
than what's done now (although it is a bit simpler).

Erhm, aren't you removing the 'max_players' feature entirely here?

I don't think so. If maxplayers is 7 you can't ever get more than 7 players. Of course the server owner can increase maxplayers. The goal of the patch is to give maxplayers priority over the number of start positions. I'm not sure if this is a good idea (I think it might be) but it is possible.

jason