Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#576) Wishlist: alternating unit movement

To: tomg@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#576) Wishlist: alternating unit movement
From: "Guest" <rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 15:35:16 -0700

> [tomg@xxxxxxxxxxx - Thu Oct 12 09:34:10 2000]:
>
> Full_Name: Tom Goulet
> Version: 1.11.4
> Client: Both (or N/A)
> OS: Debian woody :)
> Submission from: (NULL) (142.165.18.226)
>

> Hello,
>
> I would like Freeciv to have asynchronouse unit movement.  I mean that
> all the players do not move their units at the same time.  They have
> to wait until the other guy finishes.  One player will move all his units,
> then hit a new button called "unit moves done", and then player two
> will do the same. There is no reason administrative duties must be
> blocked, however, because they do not immediately affect other players.
>
> The reason I think this is a good idea, is because it helps Freeciv
> be a better strategy game.  Things like patrols of destroyers or fighters,
> or well protected fleets of ships become possible.  It also gives players
> more time to think about unit moving strategies.  And it's just really
> bad to lose a city (or a civilisation) because the other player can move
> his units faster.
>
> Yes, this would likely slow Freeciv down.  But then again, there are
> no "chariot situations", and no strategic need for a timeout.  So for
> some players it will be faster.
>
> Thanks for your time. :)
>
> TomG

I agree with your thinking about it, because I have slow internet and a
slow computer, so, I can't move on the map fast enough to block all the
units that are attacking at the same time (strategy used by two
players<allied> to coquer a player)...
But also, freeciv should have 'saves' on the internet, that can be
accessed by the players that created it. Because the game will slow down
a lot, games won't be done as were before... So, to continue them, make
an online folder with the saves of the games.
   by Kroc