Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8537) ? Kingdom ?

To: mstefek@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8537) ? Kingdom ?
From: "Morgan Jones" <morgan.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 03:07:09 -0700

>> Have you ever noticed that in civclient there is a menu which is
>> called "Kingdom"?
>> :)
>>
>> Strange..
>>
>> No doubt it should be called differently.
>> My propositions are: "Empire" or "State"

Empire implies an expansionist civilization bent on conquest and/or
colonization.  While I imagine this is true for most Freeciv games a
more general term would be better.

State is good, but maybe a little vague?  It's definately the most
accurate term IMO.

> What's wrong with kingdom?

Kingdom implies having a king, i.e. a monarchy or similar.  We need a
government non-specific term.

> Or rather, why is kingdom any worse than empire, state, realm,
> nation, civilization, etc.?

> Nation may be marginally better because that's the term used
> elsewhere (nations.ruleset, etc.), but they all mean pretty much the
> same thing.

I like nation.  My vote is for either Nation (consistency) or State
(accuracy).
     -Morgan