Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1824) ruleset data is in incompatible charsets

To: Kenn.Munro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx, jrg45@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, pawel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: mrproper@xxxxxxxxxx, jlangley@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1824) ruleset data is in incompatible charsets
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 20:31:06 -0700

Jason Short wrote:

> For the display encoding things are a bit harder.  Clients will need to
> convert to and from the display encoding at every step (gui-sdl already
> does this).  Some GUI libraries may allow this to be automated.  For
> others it will be a lot of work!

Note that this is different from what Vasco does now in the conversion
step for gui-gtk-2.0.  He automatically converts strings to and from
(basically) the "network" charset and UTF-8 when the strings are
received from the network.  This works well with the gtk2 client because
UTF-8 can then basically be used everywhere.  It also works because
ascii strings can safely be converted into utf-8 and still used.  It
won't work well for other GUIs with less convenient charsets (like
gui-sdl with a UTF-16 charset).

I think.  But I kind of hope I'm wrong here, since his way is really easy.

jason