Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1824) ruleset data is in incompatible charsets

To: Kenn.Munro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx, jrg45@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, pawel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: mrproper@xxxxxxxxxx, jlangley@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1824) ruleset data is in incompatible charsets
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:17:04 -0700

Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:

> Actually, gui-sdl with a UTF-16 charset would have no problems either.
> They just need to pass different hooks for dio_set_conv_callback() and
> dio_set_get_conv_callback().

Not without some changes.  For instance you'd be converting the sprite
tags into utf-16, not good!

With some packets.def magic we could separate text versus ascii strings
to take care of this.  So maybe it is workable.  Then the server would
keep all strings in the internal encoding but the client would keep them
all in the display encoding.

jason