Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8577) client control of network server

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8577) client control of network server
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 20:19:01 -0700

Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Jason Short wrote:

>>When you connect to a network server the client-controlling-interface
>>should work before the server starts.  Currently all these menu entries
>>are disabled.
>>
>>You should be able to edit the server options.  There should also be a
>>"start game" menu entry.
>

> Well, I sometimes wonder if our current interface is a good thing. We should
> probably scrap the connection dialog on startup, and have it invoked by a
> "Connect To Network Game" Game menu entry.
>
> When you started a game, you would just get the toplevel window.

Seems reasonable.  I'm not sure how much work will be needed (but I
suspect not much) to get menus and menu items to be properly sensitised.
  For instance most menus should be grayed out entirely...the user
shouldn't have to go through lots of menus just to see that none of them
have any available menu items.

> |- Save Game                  - "/save" command shortcut.
> |- Save Game As                       - "/save xxx" command shortcut.

"Save Game" should not be /save.  It should save the game under the last
savename used for "Save Game As" or "Load".

So for instance if you "Save As" "foo.sav.gz", then "Save", then load
"foo.sav.gz", you should get your more recent savegame.  This should be
an invariant, otherwise I think people will get really confused.

This "last savename" can easily be tracked by connectdlg_common, I
think.  If no name is available the save command is treated the same as
"Save As".  (Another alternative is to leave the "Save" command out
entirely.  This is what's done now.)

We also want a "Quicksave" menu option (like there is now).  This can
just do /save.  However I think it would be better if this choice did
"/save quicksave.sav" and _in addition_ saveturns was set by default to
1.  This is more what your typical user will expect, I think - many
games have saves setup like this.

Finally, the default directory for saving and loading should not be the
current working directory.  It should be ~/.freeciv/saves/ or something
like that.

Extra-finally, the .sav postfix should be appended automatically.  This
should probably be done by the server.  Eventually the client should be
able to filter filenames in the load/save dialogs based on this.

jason