Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8577) client control of network server

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8577) client control of network server
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 19:58:36 -0700

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Jason Short wrote:

> When you connect to a network server the client-controlling-interface
> should work before the server starts.  Currently all these menu entries
> are disabled.
>
> You should be able to edit the server options.  There should also be a
> "start game" menu entry.

Well, I sometimes wonder if our current interface is a good thing. We should
probably scrap the connection dialog on startup, and have it invoked by a
"Connect To Network Game" Game menu entry.

When you started a game, you would just get the toplevel window.

If you wanted to connect:
Game -> Connect to Network Game

Start a server:
Game -> New Game

Load a game:
Game -> Load Game

etc.

Perhaps we should also split off some of the menu items. e.g. Local
Options, Message Options, Save Settings could be moved to a Settings menu
and Export Log, Clear Log could be moved to a Log menu.

The Game menu would look like this:

Game
|-------------------------
|- Connect to Network Game
|- Disconnect from Game
|-------------------------
|- New Game                     - spawns a server and connects to it
|- Load Game                    - "/load" command shortcut.
|-------------------------
|- Save Game                    - "/save" command shortcut.
|- Save Game As                 - "/save xxx" command shortcut.
|- Start Game                   - "/start" command shortcut.
|- End Game                     - "/endgame" command shortcut.
|- Initial Game Options         - grayed before server start.
|- Game Options
|- Quit

---