Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7246) Send origin of chat messages

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7246) Send origin of chat messages
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:49:08 -0700

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 09:39:06PM -0700, Jason Short wrote:

> - I don't understand the difference between append_output_window,
> real_append_output_window, and base_append_output_window.  IMO this is
> at least one function too many.

append_output_window is the primary entry point in common
code. real_append_output_window is the gui implementation. I added
base_append_output_window since I need to add a paremeter (conn_id). I
would have extended append_output_window but append_output_window is
used a lot all over the place. I didn't want to change them all. So
now append_output_window is a wrapper for base_append_output_window
(which is called by packhand.c).

> - Take a look at PR#6523.  This is a more generalized version of the
> same concept, except that I use the player_no instead of the conn_id.

It _is_ the other solution which I didn't want because it changes _a
lot_ of code.

> Is there a reason the conn_id is superior?  (As an aside, I haven't
> given up on the PR#6523 idea.  But it will take some work to update
> it I imagine.)

conn_id has more information. While it is currently almost the same it
may change if multiple connections (user) control/observe a player.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Python 2.0 beta 1 is now available [...]. There is a long list of new