Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8519) Suggestion: BigCity flag for units

To: chrisk@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8519) Suggestion: BigCity flag for units
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:53:32 -0700

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Christian Knoke wrote:
> Restrict the ability to build certain powerful and/or aggresssive units to
> big cities. Starting with the gunpowder era, some units very useful for
> attack in a given tech era get a flag "BigCity". They can only be built in a
> city of size 7 or above. Possible candidates are riflemen, alpine troops,
> cavalry, artillery, marines, armor, howitzer, *cruisers, battleship,
> *missiles, stealth*.

There is already code in cvs to make the building of certain units
dependent on the existence of certain city improvements. I think this is a
better way to go than to base it on some arbitrary size.

I made a ruleset that made most units dependent on buildings (most of them
on barracks, some on factory, etc), but I think perhaps a more feasible
solution for default might be to restrict only the most powerful units. At
least for a start.

For example, ironclads and better sea units might require ... a harbour?
Cruisers and better might require factory? Something along those lines, I
think.

The problem with both ideas is that it slows down the game, which I think
is not a good thing in itself. I think perhaps city improvements cost too
much today.

  - Per

PS This opens up the whole ICS/smallpox can of worms again...