Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#8443) [idea] City autoexplore

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#8443) [idea] City autoexplore
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 21:18:52 -0700

> [per - Fri Apr 02 11:50:19 2004]:

> In ruleset, new variable city_autoexplore = %. If this is > 0, then
hidden
> tiles around cities closer than the city's size have this % chance of
> being revealed each turn multiplied by the number of revealed tiles
it is
> adjacent to. A default option should be, say, 10%.
>
> Why? Because micromanaging explorers is boring. Also gives big cities
> (small) new advantage.

This seems too random.

> We may also want to consider lifting the fog of war in a wider radius
> around bigger cities.

This however seems more consistent and like a good idea.  Compare to
other games' ideas:

Civ3: culture gives cities a wider vision.  Culture increases at a
logarithmic rate proportional to the number of "culture" buildings in
the city, plus one.
MoM: certain improvements may increase a city's vision.

jason