Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3712) City choose production dialog

To: dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3712) City choose production dialog
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 22:48:01 -0800

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 04:28:27PM -0800, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Raimar Falke wrote:

> > You also have now icon and color. What not just color the whole line?
>
> No, there is just the icon picture now. The problem with
> themes is when you try changing colors on things which are themed.
> GTK+ themes do not change the unit graphics. Besides, those are user
> configurable as well.

AFAIK the background of the icon also changes. I mean this with "color".

> > > For another, colors are always a bad idea because you may have
> > > clashes with GUI themes.
> >
> > Is this really a valid point if you set the background on every line?
>
> No. But then you get an inconsistent look and have traded a
> user configurable thing, themes, for a non-user configurable thing. We are
> supposed to play nice and let people choose the theme they want. :-)

I think it is ok if we here take precedence.

> > > Would making the icons optional be a satisfactory solution?
> >
> > Maybe a "cram" option which will also make a font a bit smaller?!
>
> You can do that by changing the app theme already, if you really want to.

Yes I know but it is quite complicated. Maybe we should provide two
app themes? One which looks nice and one which is for the power-player
with displays as much information as possible.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Windows: From the people who brought you edlin...