Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3712) City choose production dialog

To: dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3712) City choose production dialog
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 16:28:27 -0800

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Raimar Falke wrote:

> You also have now icon and color. What not just color the whole line?

No, there is just the icon picture now. The problem with
themes is when you try changing colors on things which are themed.
GTK+ themes do not change the unit graphics. Besides, those are user
configurable as well.

> > For another, colors are always a bad idea because you may have
> > clashes with GUI themes.
>
> Is this really a valid point if you set the background on every line?

No. But then you get an inconsistent look and have traded a
user configurable thing, themes, for a non-user configurable thing. We are
supposed to play nice and let people choose the theme they want. :-)

> > > Bug: I get a striked through diplomat. I think you missed a "!is_unit"
> > > in the second half of cell_render_func.

Thanks. It has been fixed now.

> > > A bad thing: The list uses a lot of space. You almost always have to
> > > scroll.
> >
> > Would making the icons optional be a satisfactory solution?
>
> Maybe a "cram" option which will also make a font a bit smaller?!

You can do that by changing the app theme already, if you really want to.

---